Memorial Day was created to honor the men and women who died while serving in the U.S. military. It's a somber holiday; one that is not just about thanks, but remembrance.
Sadly, many Americans have come to view it as just another day off work. That's why we've put together this quick list of 5 things you can do to respectfully participate in the true meaning of Memorial Day.
1. Attend a cemetery event. The National Cemetery Administration is hosting Memorial Day ceremonies at VA national cemeteries across the country.
2. Attend a parade. Based in Metro Detroit, the HelloMissilia Team is fortunate enough to be local and marching in one of the largest and most meaningful Memorial Day Parades in the country is a value of ours. Every year, we take the time to study and learn the stories of fallen female heroes, then honor their memory by walking with a memorial plaque in their honor.
3. Have an honest conversation with a Veteran. The passer-by "thank you for your service" line is much appreciated, however, that's more appropriate on Veterans Day. On Memorial Day, we remember those who have served and fallen, so Vets are most likely experiencing grief. When you have the opportunity to share a moment, ask us where we've served, why we chose to join, etc. Be sure to include all genders and races, and keep politics out of it!
4. Enjoy your freedoms, respectfully & responsibly. If you're lucky enough to get a day off work, keep in mind that it's because of those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. It's disrespectful to engage in immoral behaviors that negatively affect others. There's a big difference between a barbecue with friends and a slosh-fest that could result in a drunk driving incident. Always have designated drivers available.
5. Finally, say a prayer of gratitude. With an honest and open heart, thank your Creator for utilizing the sacrifices of the men and women that have gone before you to protect our freedoms. Whether the prayer is done publicly or privately, keep it genuine.
Remember, most service-members have a personal connection to someone who has given their life in combat, so reaching out to them and honoring their spirit is the greatest gift you can give.
One way that you can do this is by sending a HelloMissilia Gift Subscription to the female service-member or Veteran in your life.
Can't think of one? Gotcha covered! We keep a roster of Active Duty military and women Veterans who have signed up to receive a HelloMissilia box - they just need you to sponsor them! Your purchase of this item sends a box to a national hero every month for the next 3-months, either anonymously or by adding a message of thanks at checkout. Please enter your address as the shipping address so that we can send you a reminder of thanks as each box goes out!
YOUR PURCHASE KEEPS HER MISSION-READY
She'll be delighted with natural beauty and lifestyle essentials every month - each monthly box is packed with 4-6 full-size, premium products that are curated and loved by our own female Veteran staff.
HelloMissilia boxes contain different products each month, so she'll never tire of her special surprise.
SUPPORT STRONG WOMEN
A gift from HelloMissilia lets her know that you view her as a strong woman - she'll be honored to know that you think of her in this way! Every package includes and is themed around the story of a real U.S. female hero.
As a thank-you for your sponsorship, you become an official HelloMissilia member! Save up to 50% on select store products and exclusive offers from our partners.